Toronto Pearson International Airport
Toronto Pearson International Airport is the largest and busiest airport in Canada and serves as the main hub Air Canada. Also known as Lester B. Pearson International Airport, or simply Pearson, the airport is located 14 miles northwest of downtown Toronto and is operated by the Greater Toronto Airports Authority (GTAA.)
There are 75 airlines operating a Pearson, connecting the airport to over 155 international airports worldwide.
Pearson is one of only two airports in North America with scheduled direct flights to all of the world’s six inhabited continents.
Did You Know? Interesting Facts About Pearson International Airport:
- Pearson handled over 38 million passengers in 2014.
- It is the world’s 15th-busiest airport by flights and the world’s 35th-busiest airport in passenger traffic.
- Pearson handles more international passengers than any other airport in North America after New York’s John F. Kennedy International Airport.
- The intention to build an airport in Toronto was announced by the Canadian government in 1935.
- The first terminal of the Toronto airport was originally a farmhouse owned by the Chapman family, one of the farm families from which the land for the airport was first purchased.
- The concept of “preclearance” was pioneered at Pearson in 1952. This allowed flights to connect to smaller airports in the United States that lacked immigration and customs facilities.
- During the September 11th attacks in 2001, Pearson played a role in Operation Yellow Ribbon. The airport received 14 redirected international flights originally destined for United States.
- The airport was named after Canada’s 14th Prime Minister, Lester B. Pearson.
Toronto Island Webcams
Toronto RESCU Traffic Cameras
See live traffic views around Toronto through the Road Emergency Services Communication Unit (RESCU) Traffic Camera System. 76 closed-circuit television cameras help the unit monitor traffic congestion and respond to traffic disruptions.
Ontario Ministry of Transportation Traffic Webcams
The Ontario Ministry of Transportation strives to be a world leader in moving people and goods safely, efficiently and sustainably to support a globally competitive economy and a high quality of life. Their website offers access to a number of traffic cams, including those around Pearson Airport.
Flight Aware Live Flight Tracking (Pearson Airport)
See a live view of flights around Toronto Pearson International Airport. Check where your inbound aircraft is currently located in real-time, as well as track its previous flight path.
Royal Ontario Museum Webcam
Live view from the roof of the downtown Park Hyatt, Toronto.
Airport Runway Cam Tags:
- toronto airport webcam
- pearson airport webcam
- Webcam toronto airport