Düsseldorf International Airport (DUS) is the largest airport in the Rhine-Ruhr metropolitan region and employs over 18,200 people. In 2010, over 19.9 million passengers traveled through DUS, making it Germany’s third-busiest airport after Frankfurt Airport and Munich Airport.
The airport is regarded as one of short distances, as the entire airport encompasses only 2.37 square miles of land – remarkably small for an airport of such high capacity and traffic.
DUS is the international airport of Dusseldorf, the capital of the German state of North Rhine-Westphalia and is located about 4 miles north of the city proper.
Did You Know? Interesting Facts About Düsseldorf International Airport:
- DUS recognizes each of its three main concourses as a separate terminal even though they are all connected to a central through-way.
- The terminal buildings are capable of handling up to 22 million passengers per year, but they are required to operate under this capacity due to an agreement with nearby residents that places restrictions on aircraft movements.
- Jet Aviation operates a small terminal at DUS exclusively for private and corporate customers.
- The airport was closed to civilian use from 1939 to 1948, during which time it operated solely as a military airfield.
- DUS is one of the few airports capable of handling the Airbus A380 (one was landed there in 2006 as part of a promotional campaign by Lufthansa) but has yet to commence official service of said airplanes
- DUS was the site of the world’s worst structural airport fire to date. The fire was attributed to welding that was taking place on an elevated road near Terminal A, and damages were estimated in the hundreds of millions. 17 deaths occurred, mostly from smoke inhalation, and many more were hospitalized by the tragic event.
Check-In Hall Cam
This camera overlooks the concourse and check-in desk for DUS passengers.
View Check In Hall Cam.
Aircraft Handling Cam
From this camera, you can watch aircraft on the tarmac and taxing to and from the gates. The airport’s tower can be seen in the center of the scene.
View Aircraft Handling Cam.
DUS Advance Cam
Looking down at the taxiway, you can usually see a number of passenger jets taxiing or parked as cargo is loaded and unloaded. This view is clearly visible at night, as well.
View DUS Advance Cam.
DUS Airstrip Cam
Watch airplanes in both takeoff and landing on this live-view camera of the runway.
View DUS Airstrip Cam.
DUS Think Terminal
This terminal cam shows automobile traffic in front of the main concourse. A large parking structure can be seen on the left.
View Düsseldorf International Airport Terminal webcam.
Airport Runway Cam Tags:
- dusseldorf airport webcam